Learning and Development Programme
Every academic year, the Education Team offer a wide range of training relevant to head teachers, subject leaders, teaching staff and governors working in schools across the Diocese. The training on offer is carefully designed to support many areas of school life including school improvement, Christian distinctiveness, Governance and SIAMs preparation.
- Some of the courses are very popular and fill up fast – do book early to avoid disappointment
- Many of these courses are free to schools subscribing to the Partnership Agreement
- In the unlikely event of insufficient numbers, the course may be cancelled at short notice. We aim to inform schools at least three weeks in advance of the course date, if this is likely to happen
- Additional training and support will be offered throughout the year so please subscribe to our E-Bulletins for notifications of additional courses.
The training on offer will continue to develop throughout the year, particularly as we adapt to the evolving requirements around social distancing.
Costs to schools
Costs for each course or event are available on the individual course pages below. Many of the courses are free.
- Subscription to the Partnership Agreement includes four training sessions. Training sessions are equivalent to 3.5 hours in person or 2 hours online
- Half-day courses are equivalent to one session
- Full-day courses are equivalent to two sessions
To book a place and to find out further information about each of the courses please follow the relevant links below.
To support governors across the Diocese, Our Governance Consultant, Mike Simmonds offers an opportunity to discuss any current issues or concerns, support one another and introduce ideas.
Headteacher Sabbath Day
Dates: 17 June 2021
We are hosting a free ‘Sabbath Day’ at Chelmsford Cathedral for our Headteachers and School Leaders. The day will consist of a series of reflections from the Bishop of Colchester, optional short times of worship, and opportunities to explore the cathedral, gardens and city.
SIAMS - a priority for Governance Boards
Dates: 18 June 2021
This session will unpack the priorities from the inspection schedule and how governance boards can prepare both themselves, and support their headteacher, in striving for the best outcome. Suitable for governors and headteachers.
RE Leads meetings
Dates: Summer term: 22 June or 1 July 2021
Led by RE Adviser for the Diocese, these regular meetings will cover key information relating to RE subject leadership and the distinctiveness of leading Religious Education in a Church of England School.
Dates: 7 July 2021
Develop a practical understanding of questioning skills used in coaching to help governors ask the right kind of questions of their school leaders that holds them to account without being confrontational.
Church School Leadership Course
Course start date: 29 September 2021 (Introductory Meeting to be held on 25 June)
The course is designed for School Leaders: for those who are already leaders or aspire to be leaders – Headteacher, Head of School, Middle Leader, Department, Subject or Year Group Leaders. We are no longer accepting applications for this cohort.
If you have any questions, please contact the Education Team administrator via email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01245 294441.