Scheduling of a SIAMS inspection
Arrangements for Scheduling Section 48 SIAMS Inspections in Church of England schools
Scheduling - some points to note:
1. A SIAMS inspection is not linked in any way to a school’s OfSTED inspection timing or grading
2. The scheduling of a SIAMS inspection is currently on the following basis:
- a school previously inspected as ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’ for its denominational inspection will be re-inspected on or around 5 years;
- a school previously inspected for its denominational inspection as less than ‘good’ can be re-inspected at any point after 3 years from the date of the last inspection but not later than 5 years;
3. Scheduling Converting or New Academies
An existing Church of England school converting to an academy, will be scheduled for re-inspection on the same basis as non-converting schools, i.e. on the basis of the previous inspection judgement.
Where a new academy or free school opens which has a religious (Anglican) character, i.e. where it is a brand new institution where no previous Church of England school existed or where a community school converts to a Church of England Academy, the SIAMS inspection should take place no earlier than 2 years and no later than 3 years from the date of opening. Thereafter the time of inspections will fall in line with the general guidance above.
4. Notification: it is for the Diocese to schedule the inspection date. Once notification of an inspection has been given the inspection will take place within 5 working days.